Friday, March 4, 2011

Don't Tango with Rango!



So tonight we took the kids to see "Rango". I was pretty psyched all day.... You see, I've been a Johnny Depp fan since 21 Jump Street. I'll see any of his movies, even when he's playing a talking lizard! But I must admit, I was a bit offended by this flick. There was liberal use of the words, "hell" and "damn", tons of gun fire, spitting, bar room brawls, smoking critters, and a few misogynistic comments sprinkled about. There was also a majorly-creepy rattlesnake with a shot gun rattler! Granted, this movie was supposed to have a western flair, but still it seemed a bit over the top.

Now, I'm not the "keep your kids in a bubble" type of mom. I don't highly sensor our music or avoid topics that may seem controversial. But, I still feel like we should attempt to preserve their innocence as long as possible. It seems that that window is getting smaller and smaller, and frankly it angers and saddens me greatly.

We may be getting more and more desensitized as adults, but do we have to drag our kids into it? Can't they have at least ten solid years of being kids? Perhaps, my husband and I were negligent taking our kids to a PG movie without previewing it first. But honestly, do you really want to be those parents? To me, if you're going to market movies to kids, they should be appropriate for kids! Obviously, my thinking is naive at best.

I'm no Tipper Gore, but the shot-gun rattler almost sent me running for some parental advisory stickers! Okay, not quite, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment