Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rediscovering Fish Sticks


One of the greatest things about parenthood is having the opportunity to rediscover childhood delights. For instance, on a recent trip to the grocery store I spied fish sticks in the freezer section and felt compelled to buy them. This compulsion was fueled by the fact that my daughter has the palate of a seasoned truck driver! Seriously, she would be overjoyed if I allowed her to eat at truck stops and diners on a daily basis. In her four short years, she has sampled french fries, egg sandwiches, bacon, gyros, hot dogs and mayo-drenched cole slaw. Let me tell ya, she has loved them all! Fortunately, my deep adoration for fruits, veggies, and all things home-made, prohibit me from indulging her taste buds too often.

However, I just couldn't pass up these fish sticks! I actually had not eaten a fish stick since early childhood, but I have to say, that my recent taste test proved that they are delicious! Why did I abandon these tasty morsels so long ago?! As suspected, my daughter relished in this newfound frozen goodness. Now, I realize that many people will disagree with our, "Fish sticks rock!" claim, but I challenge you to rediscover the under-appreciated fish stick. We sampled a gluten-free variety that was breaded in cornmeal, along with another "healthy" version; neither brand disappointed.

So, there you have it! I'm not saying that fish sticks will be a daily, or even weekly, addition to our family's menu, but they may make a monthly appearance on our kitchen table. Let me know if the fish stick reappears in your home, you may be pleasantly surprised at how much it was missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment